Sunday, September 14, 2008

Email Intrusion

Do not believe that the person must have access to your computer in order to install the surveillance program.  This is absolutely not true as my laptop was hacked while I watched.  This intrusion metchod was later confirmed by an employee of Awareness Technologies named Jamie Kronic.  The software can be deployed via email.  

I had discussed many of my methods of detection/securing evidence with this employee.  We also discussed the level of devastation the intrusion was causing to my life.  She did the right thing and acted responsibly after I had been tormented for months.   (I found out months later that Jamie had been fired a few days after our conversation.  The price of responsible behavior.)

You do not have to open an email to get infected.  

As I watched Windows Mail download the mail to my computer from my remote server, the Windows Mail program crashed.  The program then prompted me to go to the Microsoft Site to check for an update.  This seemed reasonable.  As the computer was only 4-5 days old, I clicked the button which indicated it was going to check with Microsoft for an update.  After the update began taking longer than would be anticipated for checking for a fix, I had second thoughts.  I crashed my laptop, pulling the plug and battery.  On reboot, I went looking for the file that was being downloaded and discovered it was a file named WebWatcherInstall.exe.  

I had secured copies of that file and the related files that had set it up to install on boot.  I also realized that the technology being used against me was more than illegal, if this information were to be released it would affect everyone who did any tye of purchasing and banking on the web.

News of their program could seriously impact or destroy internet banking and commerce.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FYI, Awareness Technologies cannot deploy their software via email. I tried, it does not work.

I did find that SpectorSoft Eblaster is deployable by email. Maybe you have the company wrong. Sounds like the person you are referring to was probably fired for not knowing what she was talking about.

With all this computer problems and issues you say you have, why didn't you just format the hard drive and reload your OS or just replace it? These programs don't reside in the BIOS, so doing that wipes it out.